June 24, 2013

ExCaliber (originally written 5/12/13)

I came through and cleaned this literary house; I should be studying for finals but I’ve been itching to get some writing done.
Friday was the first day of the speaking (I was going to put ‘oral’ but we all know how my dirty mind is) part of my Spanish final. I did much better than my partner, who did zero prep-work and apparently no studying. I’m pretty sure I’m doing everything in life better than she is. I suspect she is a meth addict, seen enough of the symptoms, I work with enough of its slaves.
When I got home, my boyfriend and I took off for my mom’s farm, which is downstate some 2 1/2 hours. Beautiful drive, and the weather wasn’t too horrible. We made sure to pick up rubber boots before we left; you know ain’t afraid of some slop ;)
I love cows, they’re amazing animals. I know it sounds weird, but I love how they smell- I love the smell of cowshit, and the way their hair smells (yes, they have hair, not fur) and even how their breath smells. Mmmm….rumination! They’re such good animals–they give so much of themselves, and we use so much of them. The modern dairy cow has a shitty short life, I wish all bovines could be raised out of pasture doing their cow thing.
Our dinner was completely homegrown or it was locally produced. The hamburger we enjoyed was one of theirs that they had slaughtered. The potatoes were ones they had grown last summer, and the asparagus was fresh (although not nearly as tasty as the way my bf cooks it) .
We stayed overnight at an ugly, overpriced hotel, but we had a fun night ;) We went back over to the farm for a hearty breakfast and to feed treats to the hairy beasts up on the hill. I got my hand stuck in a cows mouth and had to yank it out. I forgot they had bottom teeth :P
Said our goodbyes before noon and hit the road; close to Rochester we stopped at a Nick Roussos for a Garbage Plate- new experience for me. Very interesting, different eatery. I had the white hot plate, which was two coneys over mac salad and potatos. MMmmm….carb overload :)
The final stop was to pick up his mom and the three of us traveled to the Lilac Festival (which is going on all weekend–go check it out!) . Lilacs are my favorite all time flower, and they have such a short blooming period :( This park is so beautiful, and there’s over 500 varieties scattered all over, among other ancient unusual trees.
I am so happy that we got to go, I’ve been wanting to go for years now. Guess it took just being with the right person ;)
K

No comments:

Post a Comment