June 21, 2016

Writing Files: Staying Organized

Some people have asked how I organize my writing, especially when penning a full-length (or lengthy) novel.
I use both old-school methods and electronic. 
For the old school method, I always have a thick notebook that is for the novel ONLY. Nothing else. (Okay, once in a while I have to scribble some kind of note in there when I'm desperate for paper, but I try not to.) I usually use  a five subject notebook, that way I can use the different sections for things like character profiles, chapter outline, and Things-That-Need-To-Happen (that is what I call it!). 
  Recently, for The Underbelly Series, I grabbed an 11X17 size piece of paper to create a diagram- one side has the city, St. Clair, in the middle and connected by lines are all the characters- the "good" guys on the left side and the bad crew on the right. I have at least one character that is riding the rails and working for both sides, so this type of diagram lets me see how everyone in the story is connected.
  Electronically, I use Google Drive to write it all up. I use separate documents for chapter outline, character profiles and plot points. Then I make each chapter a separate document as well. My character profiles are color coordinated- good guys one color, bad guys another color, and then those that work for both sides a third color. 
 The Underbelly Series is the most organized story that I have ever put together. I'm now of the mindset that I can't have too many documents about it, or too many notes- as long as it stays organized. You don't want to clutter the whole shebang up so much that it's impossible to work on it. 

KR 

No comments:

Post a Comment